A delicious snack with the health benefits of this antioxidant-rich super spice! These treats are quick & easy. They are based on the Ayurvedic combination of turmeric & honey. I found the recipe in Simple Things magazine, taken from The Handmade Apothecary by Vicky Chown & Kim Walker. Turmeric dates back 4,000 years, and can aid digestion, lower cholesterol and lessen the effects of oxidation damage. It’s also been shown to reduce inflammation in chronic conditions of arthritis, rheumatism and various skin conditions! A wonder food.
- 4 tsp turmeric powder or freshly grated turmeric root
- 2 tbsp thick honey
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tbsp almond meal (ground almonds) plus extra for dusting
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- optional dash of chia or flax seeds for extra benefits and more substance
- Put all ingredients in bowl & mix to form stiff paste.
- Roll or spoon mixture into balls- the recipe suggested chickpeas-sized, but with extra seeds I made mine marble-sized.
- Coat with a dusting of almond powder and place in airtight container.
- Store in fridge for up to a month. Mine didn’t last a week!
Pop a couple a day for the health benefits, or have a few more for a snack, or a boost of energy in the morning.
(I tried with strawberries and yogurt above)