What are they?? Just nuts that have been soaked and slow-dried, a process that causes them to sprout (on the inside… they still just look like nuts) This process increases the nutrient value, and activates enzymes that make them easier to digest and metabolise. Any mix of healthy nuts is good. If you want to add ’oily’ nuts like cashews or macadamias, don’t soak for more than 6 hours, or they will not dry!
From Sarah Wilson’s “I QUIT SUGAR Cookbook”
Find her at www.sarahwilson.com
- shelled pistachios
- pumpkin seeds
- Soak nuts/seeds overnight in a covered pan with some salt.
- Drain, then spread on a baking tray (no oil needed).
- For a savoury snack : sprinkle with salt, pepper, garam masala spices OR add some cinnamon for a warming treat. You can add any flavoring you’d like!
- Place them in the oven at low heat (50-65ºC) for 12-24 hours.
- Allow them to cool, and eat! Save the rest.
This is a great snack on its own, or sprinkle over yogurt, porridge or salad for extra crunch and protein!
Store in an air-tight container, or stick in the freezer.