Fresh Summer Pesto
Traditional pesto is made from fresh basil, pine nuts & parmesan cheese… but you can make fresh pesto (green sauce) from kale, basil, coriander, broccoli… really any fresh greens!
- 2 c. fresh greens (basil/corriander/leftovers)
- 2 spring onions, peeled
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- juice of 1 lime OR lemon
- 1/4 c. grated parmesan cheese OR 1/2 c. softened/soaked cashews
- cayenne / black pepper salt to taste
- If you are using broccoli or kale, steam first.
- Place all ingredients in food processor or blender until smooth.
- Eat immediately, or store in air-tight container for up to 1 week.
- If you have a large batch, cover with a layer of olive oil and freeze!
Adjust the ingredients to what you have an abundance of! Use what you have, or use the ‘waste’ from other recipes.
Make large batches and freeze to use for a quick pasta sauce or dip later.
Pesto is great on fish, eggs, veggies or in a sandwich.