Fresh Green Drop Soup
This quick & delicious recipe was cut from the newspaper– I think it was from Donal Skehan, an Irish chef with fresh & healthy recipes of all sorts. It is truly done from start to finish in 15 minutes, and is still great reheated the next day! The greens can be varied, and you could even leave the pasta out to keep it lighter! So many options…
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- a stalk of celery, chopped
- 2 litres quality veg or chicken stock/broth
- 150 g frozen peas
- 100 g fresh asparagus
- 6-8 spring onions trimmed and chopped
- 1/2 to 3/4 head of Savoy cabbage, chopped
- 250 g package of spinach & ricotta tortellini
- sea salt & black pepper to taste
- Optional pesto, basil leaves, Parmesan cheese to top
- Place mid-sized pot on medium heat & add oil. Once hot, saute onions & celery until tender. (4-5 minutes)
- Add in the stock and bring to steady simmer. Then add greens. Allowing to cook for another 5 minutes or so.
- Finally, drop the tortellini into the pot for another 3-4 minutes, until pasta is cooked. Season to taste.
- Serve in deep bowls with a drizzle of pesto, fresh basil and shaved cheese on top!
This is a great recipe for clearing out the fridge– any leftover greens can be thrown in, and the taste could vary with toppings– try crunchy nuts and soy sauce on top instead of pesto!