A winter staple to go with soups, and a summer treat to dip in olive oil or hummus.
Lovely with a fresh salad.
An airy, flavourful bread from Italy.
Ready in 2-3 hours
makes 2 loaves / flat breads
- 500 g. white flour
- 10 g. salt
- 10 g. instant yeast
- 140 ml. extra virgin olive oil, plus extra
- 360 ml. cold water
- 2+ tsp. dried oregano/rosemary/herbs of choice
- 1 tsp. sea salt flakes
- Lightly oil a plastic bowl or storage container (put aside)
- Measure flour, salt & yeast into a bowl. Create a well in the centre and pour in 100ml. of the oil and 300 ml. of the water- stir, then mix with your fingers- adding more oil and/or water as needed. Dough should be sticky & wet.
- Coat your work surface with some oil and knead for about 10 minutes- using more oil or water if it becomes too sticky.
- Put kneaded bread into prepared storage container and cover with tea towel. Leave to rise for one hour.
- Now cover 2 baking trays with parchment and drizzle with olive oil. Gently tip dough out of the storage container and cut into two pieces – stretching them into long, rectangles. try to handle lightly.
- Cover again with tea towel and leave for another hour.
- Preheat oven to 220C/Fan 200C. use your fingers to carefully make dimples on the surface, then drizzle with oil and sprinkle dried herbs and salt flakes on top.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Drizzle with more oil and allow to cool.
- Slice and enjoy!